Don Mattingly Talks Hall of Fame, His Baseball Future
It’s been a quiet free agency thus far. We expect some signings to go down next week at the Winter Meetings. We await the likes of Aaron Judge, Jacob deGrom, Brandon Nimmo and many more big names and where they may end up.
We also wait to see whether Don Mattingly will finally get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Both those topics highlighted this week’s episode of “The Show” podcast with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman. Joel and Jon debate where some of the biggest names could end up and for how much.
The Yankees legend and former Marlins manager Mattingly joins the guys for an interview on his playing career, his baseball future, Hall of Fame chances and much more.
“The Show” Podcast with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman:
- FREE AGENT MARKET: Jose Abreu signs with the Astros. Been a quiet free agency thus far. Aaron Judge could get even more money than they expected. Brandon Nimmo is going to get a ton of cash. Jon not as confident as some that Mets bring back Jacob deGrom.
Don Mattingly Interview:
MLB legend, former Marlins manager
- HALL OF FAME: Proud of career despite it not ending the way he wanted it to. Managing the Dodgers and making the playoffs as Marlins manager in 2020. Fell short on not winning as a player, never winning a championship. Should Keith Hernandez be in? Lou Whitaker and Dwight Evans should be considered.
- STEROIDS ERA: Really glad there is testing now. Wants the game to be fair.
- BASEBALL FUTURE: Has a club he is talking with. May make a good crew at some point on YES Network, but that was first he heard of it Monday. One team in particular has excited him. Wants to win. Needs to be in the game. Wants to be a part of a winning situation.
- BASEBALL IN MIAMI: Optimistic about the future of baseball in Miami. With that pitching you have to be optimistic. Kim Ng has a real shot there.
- RETIREMENT: Not getting to spend more time with his boys growing up. Would not trade being there for his boys for winning rings with Yankees if he stayed.